Sign in to follow this  
Mark Harman

US Pro Hickory Championship

If any USGTF member is anywhere in Florida during this time frame, I urge you to play in this event. I did last year and had a lot of fun. It's hard to score well with hickory clubs if you're not used to them, so go easy on yourself! I shot 84 and still finished in the money.

http://www.USProHickory.com

I am amazed at how many Pros I have talked to who are afraid, yes afraid, to participate in this tournament. They think they will embarras themselves. So here is all I have to say to that, 1) if you are scared of being embarrassed in the game of golf, you should never have taken up the game in the first place, 2) if you are worried what your students or members will think should you shoot a high score, then you have not established much of a relationship with them. The game is hard and with hickories harder. I play with them regularly and still have days where I can't hit the side of a barn, let alone the door. But I love the challenge of trying to match the old masters and am not afraid to fail. That's how we grow.

I am amazed at how many Pros I have talked to who are afraid, yes afraid, to participate in this tournament. They think they will embarras themselves. So here is all I have to say to that, 1) if you are scared of being embarrassed in the game of golf, you should never have taken up the game in the first place, 2) if you are worried what your students or members will think should you shoot a high score, then you have not established much of a relationship with them. The game is hard and with hickories harder. I play with them regularly and still have days where I can't hit the side of a barn, let alone the door. But I love the challenge of trying to match the old masters and am not afraid to fail. That's how we grow.

I e-mailed Dave Rummells, who lives in Orlando, to see if he'd come over for the day. To date I have no reply, but hopefully he decides to come and maybe bring his buddy Jim Chancey with him.

Thanks for the help. Have 2 pros from Europe and one from Scotland, plus two ladies in the field this year so far besides several regulars. Last year's champion will be back to defend.